Online or Texting
It’s a BIG Cyberworld!
You can use it to….
- Connect with friends
- Learn new stuff
- Trade photos and videos
- Listen to music, watch movies and play games
You need to smart!
Whether you’re on your cell or computer, on a social network, gaming or shopping site…
It pays to know what’s happening!
What you DON’T know CAN hurt you!
Knowing a few simple facts can help you stay safe on the net or on your cell phone…
- Anyone can read what you text or e-mail and pass it on to others.
- Schools, employers and even your grandmother can check out your Facebook page.
- User IDs, passwords and account are easy to pass around.
ANYTHING CAN BE SENT!
- You can’t always know who’s texting you or where a message is coming from.
- You can get unwanted ads, porn and viruses.
- If you respond to offers, the caller can get your info.
- You could get stuck paying for incoming messages you don’t want.
NOT EVERYONE’S NICE!
Bullies, scammers, spammers or others might….
- Send you a virus or hack into your computer.
- Share embarrassing photos or videos.
- Shend mean or threatening messages.
- Get money from you.
- Only share your cell number or e-mail address with people you know and trust.
- Don’t reply to text messages or e-mails from people you don’t know.
- Learn how to block unwanted e-mails,
- If something doesn’t feel right , tell a parent, teacher, other adult or your Internet provider.
- Think about the tone of the message you’re sending. Would you like it sent to you?
- Never give out someone else’s number or address without asking.
- think before you send or post photos of or anyone else on the Internet
If you decide to connect with someone you met online…
- Tell someone where you’re going.
- Take a friend with you.
- Meet in a public place.
Don’t Be an Easy Target!
Laptop and cell phone theft is common.
- Keep your cell phone out of sight when you’re not using it.
- Only use your phone in public when you need to.
Don’t Be a Victim!
Online or on your cell phone
- Be careful about who uses your phone.
- Don’t post your cell phone number online.
- Don’t give out personal info including passwords, user IDs or account numbers, ever to friends.
CyberSafe is CyberSmart!
When online or texting…
- Protect your privacy,
- Keep all personal info secret.
- Use passwords that are hard to figure out or steal.
- Report all problems.
- Treat others like you want them to treat you.
Hyde County Hotline,org.
24/7 Crisis Hotline 252-925-2500
Office hours 8:30 – 4:30 M-F 252-925-2502